- Do I have a fence separating my pool from my neighbours?
- Is the outside of my pool fence at least 1.2 metres high all the way around the pool?
- Does my fence have restricting access from my house to my pool?
- All near vertical or vertical fence uprights are no more than 100mm apart – you should not be able to squeeze the vertical bars together to enable the bars to be less than a100mm gap.
- Are all fence panels secure and no have no loose fittings?
- Is the bottom of my pool fence no more than 100 mm above my horizontal fence rails?
- Are all near horizontal and horizontal fence rails no less than 900 mm apart?
- Is my pool fence no less than 900 mm away from any objects that could potentially allow a child to climb over the fence? Must not be compromised by any objects that offer hand or footholds ie: downpipe
- brackets, pot plants, kids toys, tree, furniture, rocks etc?
- Where a pool fence intersects another fence is there an additional 900mm clear zone?
- Is my pool fence well maintained? Are there holes or broken posts?
- Does my pool gate close by itself from any position on the first attempt?
- Are the hinges less than 900mm apart?
- Is there a maximum of 10mm between the gate and the gate posts?
- Does my pool gate open away from the pool?
- Is the gap between the bottom of the gate and the ground level less than 100mm?
- Do I have a latch release which is no less than 1.5 metres above the ground level? Or is it covered ie: glass gate with the latch 150mm below the top of the gate or access hole?
- Is there a CPR Chart on display within visual distance from 3 points in the pool area?
- Install fixed security screens on windows that open into the pool enclosure.
This checklist is for your personal use only and is in no way a substitute for an Inspection by a licensed Pool Safety Inspector.